วันพุธที่ 15 ตุลาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Employe Hiring And Retention

Writen by Les Schmidt

Attracting and retaining quality employees is vital to the success of any auto service business. A common cry in the auto repair industry is, "I can't get any good help."

Dave Dunn of Masters School of Autobody Management states, "If you can't find and keep good help, it's your fault." I attended Dave's school for a week in October, 2001. He devotes one day of the five day course to employee hiring and retention. Dave says recruiting must be an ongoing process, and the process should begin before you have an immediate need. Dave's philosophy parallels my own, and his system expanded on what I had been doing successfully for many years.

While many of my competitors complain about the scarcity of good technicians, I have been fortunate to build a staff that is "the envy of my competition," according to a supplier who visits most shops in the area.

"Develop a reputation as a recruiter and the best business to work for," Dave says. I absolutely agree. I have said for many years, "Create an environment where the employees feel cared about, and you will attract quality employees, and keep them." I treat my employees equally as well as my customers, and it has worked like magic.

My current employer is a perfect example. There are numerous employees that have worked there for 20-40 years, and many others who have retired from the dealership after long service. His employees love and respect him, because he loves and respects them. Conversely, there are two dealerships down the road that have difficulty hiring and retaining employees, because they have not created an environment that is friendly to work in.

Would you like to have a turn-key business, one that runs as well when you are away as it does when you're there? The way to do it is to hire the best employees, treat them right, and train them properly. We all work for the money, but just as important is to feel appreciated.

A well trained employee will have more confidence and feel better about his or her performance than an untrained person. I place the highest priority on people skills. Employees who know how to take care of customers and get along with co-workers are more productive and will stay with you longer.

Promote from within whenever possible. Employees that work for a company with a, promote-from- within policy are more motivated and apt to stick around.

Do you have a mentoring program? I have had good success with vo-tech students still in school, or recently graduated. Hook them up with a skilled technician as a helper. I have a painter who started seven years ago as a co-op student working every other week. He bonded with a senior painter and learned the ropes. Now he earns over fifty thousand a year and is one of my best employees. He plans to work at our dealership for his entire career.

The longer I go in management, the more careful I am in hiring. I take more time and ask more questions than I did years ago.

I think Dave Dunn said it best; "Develop a reputation as a recruiter and the best business in town to work for," and you can have a turn-key business.

Les Schmidt, auto body shop manager and consultant, helps auto repair and sales businesses eliminate customer and employee complaints and increase profits.

http://www.superemployees.com
http://lesschmidt.typepad.com

sagescriptmedia@comcast.net

=======================================================================

Les Schmidt is a 40 year veteran auto repair manager/consultant, specializing in people skills and communications to help auto repair and sales businesses eliminate customer complaints and increase profits.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: